Start menu (especially for Alexandre Julliard)

Dan Kegel dank at
Tue Sep 30 19:26:04 CDT 2003

Francois Gouget wrote:
> <rant>
> The Linux desktop menus are a total mess. FreeDesktop came up with a
> broken standard (vfolders) to 'unify' KDE and Gnome (which were already
> pretty similar and relatively easy to work with).
> But what we need is a truly standard way to create menus for all desktop
> environments on any Linux distribution. Something like the Debian
> menuing system, maybe with improved support for internationalization and
> other bells and whistles.
> </rant>

Well, as it happens, Debian appears to be embracing the
"Desktop Menu Specification" (
at least judging by

Oh, and who's listed as one of the authors?  A certain Francois...

IMHO wine should stay far, far away from inventing anything new
here, and simply obey the menu spec (plus, perhaps,
a legacy scheme or two until they die off).
- Dan

Dan Kegel