Window management thoughts

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Tue Apr 6 10:25:13 CDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Mike Hearn wrote:

> Well, one way forward is to implement another mode, in which Wine makes
> all windows managed and uses a variety of WM hints to get the desired
> behaviour. For instance, the PPosition flag asks the WM to place the
> window where the application requests it to. Some WMs respect this, others
> do not, in yet others it's a toggleable option. For people with WMs that
> meet the requirements of Wine all windows could be made managed, and for
> people that don't use such WMs the old way can still be used.

I personally think we should not care about non-compliant WMs. You use
one of those, you suffer the consequences. We can't operate in a vacuum,
there are standards, and we must be able to rely on something.

But this, I'm afraid, besides the point. This entire discussion assumes
that the Win32 windows are mapped to X windows. If IIRC, Alexandre was
saying that we need to switch back to the old ways, where we handle most
of the windowing code. In which case I guess a lot of this will go away.

--
Dimi.