Window management thoughts

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Apr 6 14:47:09 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn <mh at codeweavers.com> writes:

> I should have clarified things a bit: as far as I know the WM rewrite is
> about using X windows only for toplevel win32 windows, and not using X
> child windows for win32 child windows. The managed/unmanaged thing is only
> relevant to toplevel windows. So I think they are separate though it'd be
> nice for Alexandre to clarify exactly what the WM rewrite will affect and
> entail.

Well, it's not really a rewrite, more the continuation of the address
space separation work, to make all of the window management instead of
just half of it behave properly across processes.

The managed/unmanaged thing is really a different issue, but the
inter-process stuff will change a lot of things in x11drv, that
hopefully will then make it easier to deal with the managed stuff (for
instance by making it easier to recreate a window on the fly to switch
to managed mode); so that's why I think the inter-process support
should be finished before we start making big changes in the X11 WM
support.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org