inheriting exec-shield avoidance

Peter Riocreux par+wine_devel at silistix.com
Thu Apr 8 10:51:26 CDT 2004

Mike McCormack <mike at codeweavers.com> writes:

> Yeah, I'm aware of the problem with interitance... there might be a
> tricky way to fix it by setting WINELOADER to the name of a script
> that runs "wld $winebinary"... otherwise wine will need to be modified.

If wld knew (hardcoded or from an environment variable) where to find
wine (the binary), no script would be necessary and it would be even
simpler. At configure/compile time Wine could know/detect/be told
whether the default loader had to be wine (the binary) or wld.

Thinking further, why not, if wld is needed, call what is now wine
something else (e.g. winefoo for this discussion) and wld be called
wine. Then no source modification is needed to existing wine code and
invocation using wine rahter than wld is possible, maintaining users'
mental compatibility and script compatibility (IYSWIM).

Peter