CryptoAPI

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 10:59:51 CDT 2004

--- Robert Shearman <R.J.Shearman at warwick.ac.uk>
wrote:
> CryptGetOIDFunctionAddress is
> kind of like GetProcAddress and so all of the real
> work is done by
> CertDllOpenStoreProv which is provided by the
> certificate provider.
<snip>
> CertOpenStore is just a wrapper for
> CryptGetOIDFunctionAddress("CertDllOpenStoreProv"
> ...) and the real work is
> done elsewhere.

I couldn't find any evidence that this is the case for
the built-in providers (file, reg, in-memory,
collection) on my Win2k system.  When I search through
the registry, the only CertDllOpenStoreProv entry I
find is for an LDAP provider.

Unless you know which DLLs implement the built-in
providers, I'm still assuming crypt32 implements them
itself.  As far as why I'd want to do it this way, I'm
assuming the most common usage is of the system
provider, which is really just a reg provider with the
root key predefined.  That's where I'd like to start.

--Juan