Change to CompareStringW introduced regression in QuArK (bug #2159)

David Costanzo david_costanzo at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 03:07:11 CDT 2004

I have been investigating a regression in the functionality of QuArK, a
popular level editor for Quake.  The regression is filed as bug #2159.
I have identified the cause of the regression as changes made to
CompareStringW from revision 1.25 to revision 1.26 of
wine/dlls/kernel/locale.c.  I do not know how to proceed from here.

The relevant modification is changing CompareStringW from calling
strncmpiW/strncmpW to calling wine_compare_string.  I hacked my code to
call both the new and old version and print out whenever the two return
different values.  Calling wine_compare_string seems to have changed
the behavior of comparing strings that have accent marks with strings
that don't have accent marks when the NORM_IGNORECASE flag is set.

I don't understand unicode collation, nor do I know how QuArK is using
CompareStringW.  I don't doubt that CompareStringW should call
wine_compare_string, but if this is a bug in wine_compare_string, I
don't know how to fix it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next step should be?

Thanks,

David Costanzo