Security of WINE and ReactOS: was Documents and settings

P. Christeas p_christ at hol.gr
Sun Apr 18 05:16:50 CDT 2004

Just my humble opinion on this:
1. One reason Unix security model is still around is that it is simple. ACLs
and such need more administration and are more likely to be configured wrong.
Unix, on the other hand, is compulsory (you *have* to set the permissions
everywhere) and simple. In modern kernels (I use 2.6) you can also have more
detailed permissions (ACLs, capabilities etc.) but they don't seem to be
popular..
2. Wine now runs in userspace, needing no privileges to operate. That's great
because it protects itself both from bas win32 apps and bugs Wine may have.
If it needed to obtain more system power, it would have to be in rootland. I
wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that a win32 app runs on my system with
some kind of root privileges.
3. There is a certain tradeoff between letting those permission-hungry apps (I
recently came across an app that wanted to form its own ICMP packets) and
being secure. IMHO restricting userspace apps is one reason Unix is secure
(eg. no programmer will try to write an app that stores its data at '/'
catalog, win apps may require write to 'C:\' or 'C:\windows\'). I prefer
being secure.