i810 audio fixes 1/2

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Thu Apr 22 13:09:04 CDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:06:22 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> if the freedesktop people have any intent of avoiding a split between
> the music world and the "desktop beep" world, JACK is the only viable
> sound server. if they don't care about such a split, then neither do
> most of us in the music/pro-audio world.

Obviously if possible such a split could be avoided, but the ultimatum
seems to be: use JACK or there will be compatibility. That's fine, but I
thought that JACK was Linux only (as is alsa, for that matter), so we lose
the sound-server-as-abstraction-layer properties of esd and arts.

The other issue is - what about X sync? Do you agree with Alan Cox that X
has to handle audio as well to make it work? If so that raises some
fundamental questions about our audio architecture.

>            (a) PortAudio if platform portability matters

It does, but I've yet to encounter anybody outside the pro-audio world
who's even heard of PortAudio let alone programmed against it for games,
desktops, windows emulators etc.

> It has been my intent to take these matters up with freedesktop.org,
> particular since two of its key members, Keith Packard and Jim Gettys,
> were on the panel that awarded JACK its Open Source Merit Award in
> January.

> indeed. JACK is network protocol neutral. jackd itself does not (and
> will not) implement any network protocols (it doesn't even implement
> ALSA or OSS - thats handled by a special client), but it would be
> relatively easy to code an MAS client, or a low-level ethernet
> (Cobranet) client, or a client that uses 1394 as a transport protocol,
> or whatever. Just like JACK's other features, this kind of
> interconnectivity is *designed* to be provided by clients, seamlessly,
> not by the server.

Random observation - that location of policy  (in clients) sounds a lot
like X. Would it be theoretically possible to merge jack with the X
server, or am I smoking crazy weed?

thanks -mike