graphical Linux

Chris Seddon seddon at vicioussoftware.com
Thu Apr 22 20:21:49 CDT 2004

Hey,
I've had no troubles with Wine and OpenGL while developing my 3d
modelling tool. I've used both Red Hat (8/9) and Mandrake (9.x). Keep in
mind you'll need to install the NVidia OpenGL drivers as the generic X
drivers suck for 3D. =D When coding with OpenGL/Wine you cannot
initialize OpenGL into a static window or any non-fullsize window
because of an issue in Wine. One work around I've done is initialize GL
to the main window of the program (so it renders full screen), draw your
gui windows, then using glViewport change the viewport size to be your
originally intended size. This will give the illusion that the rendering
area is smaller than it really is, without having to really hack
something together. Although it sounds complicated, it's dead simple and
works like a charm! If you need a better explanation, let me know.

Chris