winmm wave test

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Apr 26 05:49:35 CDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Robert Reif wrote:
[...]
> How about something like this:
>
> Adds test for illegal bits per sample.
> Fixes format printing.

Looks ok though if we keep the 2MHz etst then we should investigate
what's goign on on Windows in more details.

> Since we are opening the device in WAVE_FORMAT_DIRECT mode, the wave
> mapper is not involved so it should fail unless the hardware really
> supports 2MHz
> (which is highly unlikely).

True. But I believe Alsa will happily resample (or claim to resample) a
2MHz signal which makes it impossible for us to report an error. Unless
we check for any frequency >96KHz in our driver but this test could be
wrong on high-end sound cards: I believe some support 192KHz sampling
rates.

IOW I'm not sure it's worth trying to be 100% compatible with Windows
there. Especially since there's some doubt about what Windows actually
does.

               RFC 2549: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2549.txt
                IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service