Alignment testing

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Mon Apr 26 10:16:24 CDT 2004

"Hans Leidekker" <hans at it.vu.nl> wrote:

> kernel/tests/generated.c currently shows one failure
> when the executable is compiled with MinGW. Investigation
> shows that MinGW and GCC differ when it comes to alignment
> of doubles (i.e. a 64 bit wide type).
>
> I have constructed the test below that shows the difference
> between MinGW and GCC. My question is, could someone compile
> this with MSVC >= 6, run it, and report the outcome here?

I had to add #include <windows.h> as the very first line to make
it compile.

C:\>cl
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8804 for 80x86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.

C:\>align.exe
Alignment of __int64: 8
Size of __int64: 8
Alignment of large_int: 8