Fwd: Re:SpecOpS Labs

Tim Hentenaar tth at one.net
Mon Apr 26 17:51:22 CDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:24:07 -0500
"R.U. Deranged" <yes_this_is_a_real_address at earthlink.net> wrote:

> There's a story today on the results of the "unveiling" last week:
>
> http://www.inq7.net/inf/2004/apr/26/inf_4-1.htm

Interesting... A few things in that article don't seem right.. If the dude said that "David" was running the power point presentation, then why did he have to have his aide install it a second time (and install M$ Office a second time)?

"Chua subsequently opened each Microsoft Office application, and showed that the "look-and-feel" of the applications remained intact, only this time it was running on a Linux box.

By the time he ended the demo, the audience was applauding."

Sounds like an easily moved audience. He could have simply been running Crossover Office, or Wine itself. I haven't tried installing Office under Wine, because I don't have a copy, but from what I've heard it's usable under Crossover Office.

In thier autogenerated response email, they say that they intend to comply with the LGPL, so my biggest question is, when are they going to release thier supposedly LGPL'd code? :P I'd bet there is a lot of Wine code in there, otherwise why would they write:

"[...] and we will comply with the GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE."

I find it hillarious that they're making unfounded comments about Wine, yet more than likely at least 50%+ of thier code is Wine code, if there is any code at all.

Tim