Using Windows ODBC drivers

Brian Vincent (C) VincentB at coppercolorado.com
Thu Apr 29 12:33:50 CDT 2004

> 5.14.2. Using Windows ODBC drivers
> Does anyone actually have any experience of this and anything to add?
>

> I do, with Microsoft Access and the JetProxy JDBC. If there's any
> interest, I can give you a quick summary on how to set things up.

It looks like the stuff on WineHQ is a bit out of date.
A patch I submitted in March added some info that Boaz
put together.  Now that section should read:

      <title>Using Windows ODBC drivers</title>
        <para>
	  Native ODBC drivers have been reported to work for many types of
	  databases including MSSQL and Oracle. In fact, some like MSSQL can

        only be accessed on Linux through a Winelib app.   Rather than
        just copying DLL files, most ODBC drivers require a Windows-based
        installer to run to properly configure things such as registry keys.
	</para>
	<para>
	  In order to set up MSSQL support you will first need to download
	  and run the mdac_typ.exe installer from microsoft.com.  In order
        configure your ODBC connections you must then run CLICONFG.EXE and
	  ODBCAD32.EXE under Wine.  You can find them in the windows\system
        directory after mdac_typ runs.  Compare the output of these programs
        with the output on a native Windows machine.  Some things, such
        as protocols, may be missing because they rely on being installed
	  along with the operating system.  If so, you may be able to copy
        missing functionality from an existing Windows installation as
        well as any registry values required.  A native Windows installation
        configured to be used by Wine should work the same way it did
        when run natively.

If you'd like to make any additions or corrections, please
work from the version in CVS.  If you'd like me to do the
SGML markup, feel free to email me raw text to add.  If so,
no rush - I'll be out of town till May 10th.

Thanks!

Brian Vincent
Copper Mountain Telecom
vincentb at coppercolorado.com