Printing problem; RHEL3U1 (CUPS) with 20031118

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Fri Apr 30 12:13:16 CDT 2004

(Yes, I know 20031118 is a little old)

Anyone any ideas what is going on here or any simple tests I can do?

I am trying to get our company's software running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
3 Update 1.

I am using the wine-20031118-1rh8winehq.i686.rpm

I am printing to a SMB printer elsewhere on the computer.
I can print the test page from the printconfgui
I can print a text file from the command line (lp /etc/passwd)

I cannot print from notepad; nothing seems to happen

I cannot print from our application; I get the error:

lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

(I'll try the 20040408 when I can actually download it, but I don't expect it
to change)

(I would try changing to LPRng but of course RHEL3 doesn't seem to include it)

Anyone any ideas?
--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com