Wine's OLE/COM doesn't work, and I can no longer use native COM

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sun Aug 8 05:11:06 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 16:02 -0500, David D. Hagood wrote:
> Yes, I am - I was under the impression that would give a better shot at
> compatability since, when there is a mutually exclusive choice between
> the 9X and the NT way, Wine tends to follow the NT way.

No, 9x mode is recommended. Programs tend to stress the system harder
when run in NT mode, they use NT only APIs and such we may not implement
and don't get as much testing.

> > regression there lately if you use 9x DCOM but I think it's fixed now.
> > Easy enough to fix if not.
>
> So you are suggesting that I attempt to re-install the Win98 DCOM
> package? Should I change the ole* overrides to "native,builtin", and if
> so, should I do so before or after installing the DCOM package? Should I
> also change the Winver to 98, and if so, should I do so for all
> programs, just the DCOM installer, or for the DCOM install + Mng6?

Install it all as Win98 if possible, and native DCOM like this:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES=ole32,oleaut32,rpcrt4=n wine DCOM98.EXE

thanks -mike