Small make compatibility changes (take 2)

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Tue Aug 10 20:01:17 CDT 2004

Le lun 09/08/2004 à 19:05, Alexandre Julliard a écrit :
> Vincent Béron <vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca> writes:
>
> > This seems to let users build and uninstall with BSD make.
> >
> > Changelog:
> > Evaluate variable after replacement to build with BSD make.
>
> Unfortunately assignments with := are not portable either, so it's
> only moving the problem. We probably need to restructure the makefiles
> a bit to avoid that construct.

FreeBSD's and OpenBSD's make, as well as GNU's make, seem to understand
it OK (both from reading the docs and personal experiments).

The current way of doing it doesn't work on FreeBSD's and OpenBSD's
make, although it does work on GNU's make.

Is there some other make which does accept the current way of doing it
and does not accept my proposed way?

Vincent