Different X Displays and Wine

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Aug 11 12:41:41 CDT 2004

Boaz Harrosh <boaz at hishome.net> writes:

> [1] Can I Just "ln -s" the .wine folder and than point WINEPREFIX to
> the new link so a new wineserver Instance will be lunched? Or do I
> need a separate copy.
> (something like> ln -s .wine .wine$DISPLAY ;WINEPREFIX=.wine$DISPLAY
> wine ...)
> OK, I tried, this does not work! what does work is (# mkdir
> .wine$DISPLAY ;ln -s .wine/*  .wine$DISPLAY/) have a real directory
> with every thing there linked to the real thing.

You need a full copy with different registry files, you can't use
symlinks.

> [2] If yes for 1 would the Linux Kernel share my code segments across
> wineservers? (Probably yes).

Of course.

> [3] When is the $DISPLAY sampled by the wineserver. On first
> application startup, on first window created, or on server load? If I
> make the wineserver stay in memory (-p) will it re sample the $DISPLAY
> when a new app is started after all the old ones exit.

wineserver doesn't care about $DISPLAY at all. If you mean $WINEPREFIX
it is evaluated at server startup.

> [4] Can I pre-run a wineserver and than on connection point wine to
> use a specific (next) wineserver Instance? IF not will it be hard to
> implement and will it be accepted into the tree? If yes and it is
> accepted can it be made automatic when ever $DISPLAY is changed
> (different). (Instead of bailing out a few moments later)

I don't see how you would do that. The right fix is to make the
windowing code support windows created on different displays.

> [(DWORD)-1] What does Codweavers do on their Server product. How do
> they server concurrent Office users?

We don't support having the same user run from different displays at
the same time. I don't think that's a common setup at all.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org