More winecfg todos

Izak Burger izakb at synapp.com
Wed Aug 18 03:04:51 CDT 2004

I'm not too sure it will work for wine, it was just a wild suggestion.

Debian uses it to get arround the problem of modifying certain config
files.  For example, if you install the nvidia drivers, you have to
modify /etc/modules.conf.  The usual way is to employ some perl or some
other magic to add the line to the file, but Debian adds a file to
/etc/modutils, and then runs the update-modules.  The idea is that every
small file in /etc/modutils contains only the lines relevant to the
package it was installed by, and the modules.conf file is generated from
these small files (in this case, by simply concatenating them together).

The debian exim4 package has a similar setup (it is optional, if you
want one big file you can still have it), but because exim4's config
file has different sections, they have a directory for each section,
with small files that are concatenated to make up the sections, and then
the sections are assembled together to make a config file.  Once again,
say I install an antivirus like clamav or a spam checker like
spamassassin, these packages need only drop a small file with their
config settings into the correct directory and run the script
update-exim4.conf to make a new config file.

Now since the registry is just text in wine, and according to the
feature we are talking about (splitting the old config stuff into a
seperate reg file) this could work, but the reason why I said it is
silly is because this would make editing of the registry with regedit an
absolute mess, because 1) you will be editing the autogenerated file
(and not the orriginal stubs) and 2) even if you could trace the way
back to the original stubs, it just complicates matters unnecessarily.

To split, or not to split, that is the question :-)

It was a silly suggestion, but it would be an option so split seperate
parts of the registry into seperate files if it REALLY becomes too
unmanagable.  But if you've ever had to configure squid, with it's
default config file of several hundred lines, I'm sure you'll find this
not to be such a big issue.

Sometimes I should just shut up, I'm sure one of the _real_ developers
will be along shortly to tell me why :-)

Cheers,
Izak