Info on debugging requested: trying to run "Hearts of Iron"

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Aug 19 02:31:24 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 06:43:14PM +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Backtrace:
> =>1 0x004191fb (0x406bfe94)
>   2 0x005af5b2 (0x406bff20)
All in app space, most likely. Not very useful, I'm afraid.

> And then is there a way to step through at the source rather than
> assembly level?
--> only if you have the game source ;-)

> It's apparent here that %ecx is null when not expected to be, resulting
> in a bad access to memory address 0x00000006.
Yup, most likely.

> I also tried the "WINEDEBUG=+relay" option as recommended in the wine
> docs. However after leaving the program running overnight, and having
> generated 3 gigabytes of log output, the point where the bug occurs
> hadn't been reached. I think that what's happening is that there is a
> thread (0011) which is driven by timer ticks [probably doing GUI or
> sound stuff], and that because HoI is running much more slowly under
> +relay, that the thread doing the load-game work (0009) isn't actually
> getting any CPU time at all. NB: the log was only 3GB because I used
> grep to discard output about RtlEnterCriticalSection and
> RtlLeaveCriticalSection. Without that, the log would be closer to 30GB!
You should at least have used pipes as described in the User Guide...
(not sure whether that ultimately helps then, though...)

> Any suggestions on how to make progress on this issue are welcome.
If a relay trace doesn't help, then the next thing would be to disas
surrounding code at 0x004191fb and walk back the code flow to find out
where the NULL %ecx was coming from.

> PS: Congrats to the Wine team. I was most impressed how well HoI ran on
> wine.
Thanks!

Andreas Mohr