poll vs. epoll

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Aug 19 14:16:36 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a program (a server) that has a very large number of
synchronization constructs. Even when everything is idle there,
wineserver is taking 60% of the CPU, raising load average to 2.4. When
load is applied, response time occasionally jumps from tenths of a
second to two minutes.

I noticed that in server/fd.c, the wineserver is using "poll" to select
between file descriptors. The application is going through this code
over 2000 times a second, with over 380 file descriptors each time. I am
wondering whether this can be the cause of the slowdown.

One of the possible solutions to this would be to use epoll instead.
This, of course, would have to be backed by a configure check, as not
all systems for which wine is intended support epoll. Another, arguably
better, solution would be to use libevent for this purpose. Libevent has
the distinct advantage that it automatically chooses the best tool for
the job (epoll, poll, /dev/poll, or if all else fails, select). However,
if there is another, independent use of poll, porting the semantics to
libevent may prove non-trivial.

So what does the forum think?

One last question. What are the "users"? What constructs cause a new
file descriptor to be allocated in the wineserver?

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.