mixing SHELL32.DLL and SHFOLDER.DLL

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Sun Aug 29 10:26:54 CDT 2004

Using native version of SHELL32.DLL (from the Win98 install) and builtin
version of SHFOLDER.DLL ends up in Wine failure:

[s2 at katleriai wine]$ WINEDLLOVERRIDES="shell32=n" WINEDEBUG=+loaddll wine /home/s2/cc/Program\ Files/mIRC/mirc 2>&1 | grep -i [^a-z]sh
trace:loaddll:load_dll Loaded module L"c:\\windows\\system\\shlwapi.dll" : builtin
trace:loaddll:load_dll Loaded module L"C:\\windows\\system\\shell32.dll" : native
trace:loaddll:MODULE_LoadModule16 Loaded module "shell.dll" : native
trace:loaddll:load_dll Loaded module L"c:\\windows\\system\\shfolder.dll" : builtin
err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'shell32.SHGetFolderPathA' used by L"c:\\windows\\system\\shfolder.dll". If you are using builtin L"shfolder.dll", try using the native one instead.
err:commdlg:DllMain Failed to get entry point "SHGetFolderPathA" for hinst = 0x41930000

This situation was already discussed three years ago or so [1], [3].  The
most initiative person here was Juergen Schmied, it seems.

Besides another things on Sun, 03 Dec 2000, Juergen Schmied wrote [2]:
> Hmm, shlfolder is introduced for systems with a older version of
> shell32.dll. I think we should use it just like it's done in cdlg32.c
> and get the function with GetProcAdress. Bye the way: this way is used
> in several cases of functions within shell32 introduced in later
> versions. I'm currently having a patch for comdlg32 and shell32 to the
> imports. Will send it soon.

AFAICS, there was no patches sent against the SHFOLDER.DLL.  Dear Wine
developers, can I expect this situation to change soon?  Please tell me:
should I wait even more, or should I try writing a patch on my own?  TIA.

[1] http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2000/12/index.html#41
[2] http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2000/12/0048.html
[3] http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2001/07/index.html#4