Threading issues? [ck-request@ vds.kolivas.org: ck Digest , Vol 3, Issue 16]

Michael Buesch mbuesch at freenet.de
Sun Aug 29 15:49:17 CDT 2004

Quoting Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de>:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:07:18PM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
> > Audio runs as a separate thread outside of wine potentially through who
> > knows how many layers as a combination of both process and kernel
> > context so that's already complicating the issue by having a separate
> > thread. X does the same again. So what the win32 game is doing under
> > wine when it asks for audio or graphics to be done will be handled
> > completely differently to windows. How blocking is done between the
> > graphics and audio calls, when you have a highly cpu bound task (the
> > game) as well is definitely complex and not just the kernel that is
> > responsible here. Add to that the fact that wine itself runs a few
> > threads and as I said before, it's a miracle it runs smoothly at all.
> This shows that dynamic reloading of different schedulers
> is a very useful thing: if playing some game on Wine doesn't work with the
> currently used scheduler, you just load a specially adapted scheduler (say a
> "Wine" scheduler for close Windows scheduling compatibility ;) in order to
> have some great gaming session, and that's it.
> (of course it'd be useful to have a universally usable scheduler instead,
> but that is very difficult if not impossible to achieve)

Isn't Nick Piggin maintaining such a dynamic scheduler loader?
I can't remember exactly, but I think he has patches for runtime switching
between his single priority array scheduler and even staircase with
single priority array.
Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

--
Regards Michael Buesch  [ http://www.tuxsoft.de.vu ]