Threading issues? [ ck Digest, Vol 3, Issue 16]

kernel at kernel at
Mon Aug 30 02:17:13 CDT 2004

Quoting Michael Buesch <mbuesch at>:

> Quoting Ove Kaaven <ovek at>:
> > Well, my theory is that in this situation, with the great new
> > interactivity-boosting Linux scheduler, the wineserver is considered
> > very interactive, and gets scheduled a lot more than the high-priority
> > threads, just so it can satisfy the wait requests of the low-priority
> > thread.
> So what about introducing a new "scheduler flag" like the
> processor affinity flag. Some process may set itself to
> FLAG_NONITERACTIVE and the scheduler will never boost its
> priority. This can be allowed for non-root processes, too,
> as it doesn't increase the priority.

"nice" does exactly what is required. If one thread is a nice level >10 higher
than another thread it will never preempt it in mainline 2.6. We definitely
don't want to go modifying the scheduler to suit one application.