mixing SHELL32.DLL and SHFOLDER.DLL

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 16:55:46 CDT 2004

--- Saulius Krasuckas <saulius2 at ar.fi.lt> wrote:
> I don't know ordinal value of this function.

I neither.  I don't have this versions handy at the
moment either.  Maybe some kind soul who does can
provide them?

> Yes, I understand now.  IMHO, the easiest way still
> would be to move the
> code from shell32 to shfolder.  But forget it.

I'm not sure that's true.  It depends how the
application decides whether to look for these
functions in shfolder.dll.  I'm not sure what the
"correct" way is; MS isn't very clear on this.  I
think, reading from MSDN, you can ship shfolder.dll
and dynamically load it if you can't find these
exports in shell32.dll.  But that apparently isn't
what your app is doing, and I'm not sure what it is
doing instead.

For what it's worth, I'm working on the functions
SHGetFolderPath/A/W, SHGetFolderLocation/A/W,
SHGetSpecialFolderPath/A/W, and
SHGetSpecialFolderLocation/A/W.  They're a bit off at
the moment, but not horribly so; I don't think too
many apps will be broken by their incorrectness.  But
if your app is having trouble specifically because of
these, help may be on the way :)

--Juan