wineserver epoll

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Tue Aug 31 03:14:32 CDT 2004

> Building with a recent glibc and running on an older one is not
> supported by glibc, and it won't work for many reasons having nothing
> to do with epoll. Crossover runs everywhere because it is built
> against a very old glibc.

To clarify, it is possible to build against a new glibc and have it run
on older libcs, but the process is far from intuitive and requires
special tools, header overrides etc. We do this in autopackage, and it
works, but it's quite tricky to get right.

So I guess Shachar could use dlopen, or possibly the epoll functions are
weak symbols - quite a lot of glibc functions are these days. In that
case you can just mark them with the weak attribute and that's no problem.