mixing SHELL32.DLL and SHFOLDER.DLL

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Tue Aug 31 20:31:03 CDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 02:55:46PM -0700, Juan Lang wrote:
> --- Saulius Krasuckas <saulius2 at ar.fi.lt> wrote:
> > I don't know ordinal value of this function.
>
> I neither.  I don't have this versions handy at the
> moment either.  Maybe some kind soul who does can
> provide them?

My linux box has a dyfunct (partially working) Win95 partition, and I
have access to a Win98SE box.  Both are reasonably recent, and I can try
extracting an original Win95 version from the cabs on the local CAB
archives (which come from the CD).

What are the specific filenames again?

Oh, and do you want them compressed in any way (i.e. leave them, zip
them, or tar/gz them), and do you want them on list or off?  Note, that
I'll only do this once, so that means that if you want an archive, I'd
have to send them to the list.

> > Yes, I understand now.  IMHO, the easiest way still
> > would be to move the
> > code from shell32 to shfolder.  But forget it.
>
> I'm not sure that's true.  It depends how the
> application decides whether to look for these
> functions in shfolder.dll.  I'm not sure what the
> "correct" way is; MS isn't very clear on this.  I
> think, reading from MSDN, you can ship shfolder.dll
> and dynamically load it if you can't find these
> exports in shell32.dll.  But that apparently isn't
> what your app is doing, and I'm not sure what it is
> doing instead.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm working on the functions
> SHGetFolderPath/A/W, SHGetFolderLocation/A/W,
> SHGetSpecialFolderPath/A/W, and
> SHGetSpecialFolderLocation/A/W.  They're a bit off at
> the moment, but not horribly so; I don't think too
> many apps will be broken by their incorrectness.  But
> if your app is having trouble specifically because of
> these, help may be on the way :)

Good luck!