Wine book

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Wed Dec 1 03:28:01 CST 2004

I'm not sure what I'm writing here is appropriate for actual "headings".
It's just some points to keep in mind when writing the actual chapters.

Brian Vincent wrote:

>[1] Chapter outlines:
>
>Title: "Wine: Running Windows Applications on Linux" [4]
>1.	Wine Introduction[15 pages]
>	What is Wine?
>	How Can Wine Help You?
>	An Introduction to Windows Components
>	Overview of Wine's Components
>	Recent Changes to Wine
>	A History of the Wine Project
>	How Can You Get Wine?

Back to earth - what will wine not do at this stage.

>2.	Installing Wine [20 pages]
>	System Requirements
>	Bundled Versions
>	Downloading Packaged Versions
>	Accessing CVS
>	Compiling and Installing Wine

The soft vs. hard dependencies. How to tell whether you have everything
you need.

>	Uninstalling Wine
>
>5.	Installing Common Programs [35 pages]
>	Microsoft Office

Internet explorer?

>	Adobe Photoshop
>	File Utilities
>	Peer-to-Peer Applications
>	Further Help: The Wine Application Database
>
>10.	Introduction to Winelib [20 pages]
>	Introduction to Winelib

Make sure you mention here that you'll still need wine at the end of the
day!

>	Licensing Considerations
>	Portability Considerations
>	Getting Started
>	Understanding the Winelib toolkit
>	A Roadmap for Porting
>	Installation of the MinGW Compiler
>
>13.	Advanced Porting Techniques [25 pages]
>	C++ Problems
>	Working with Microsoft Foundation Classes

Actually, Boaz can probably help you with:
Working with Advanced Template Library

>	Working with Templates
>	Moving From Visual Studio to MinGW
>

>PPS.  I'd like to think this won't affect WWN because I really have no
>life.  However, that's not too realistic.  Hopefully WWN won't suffer
>too much.

Let's hope so. Good news is that you'd have to keep on the wine mailing
list.

       Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh