<<PATCH>> Added shell32.dll functions to browse for unix directory;

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Wed Dec 1 15:46:50 CST 2004

Robert van Herk wrote:

> I guess you are right, but the strange thing is that this was already
> the case in the original code. The hwnd of the tree view and the
> pointer to the browseinfo structure are copied into a global variable,
> so at least my code is not worse here :-).

Well, existing code doesn't necessarily need to be a nice and clean
implementation as it may have been at some point more important to get
anything workable into the CVS tree than having nothing at all.

> By the way, isn't it so that a copy of shell32.dll gets loaded for each
> application anyway? If so, then the variable is at least application
> local, and, c'mon, who is going to show two modal browsing dialog boxes
> at the same time :-)?

I'm not sure if the shell32 dll is really loaded multiple times in Windows.

However I can definitely see your point here but since the functions are
all internal to shell32 at this point and can accept any parameters you
may like, I would consider it a cleaner solution to allocate a structure
on the stack which contains such helper variables together with  the pointer
to the user supplied BROWSEINFOA structure and pass its pointer as custom
long variable to the dialog procedure instead of lpbi only.

In the end it mist probably wouldn't really matter for practical use since
it is a modal dialog, but who knows who is going to extend on that API at
some point and stumbling over this.

Rolf Kalbermatter