<<PATCH>> Added shell32.dll functions to browse for unix directory; altered winecfg to use it to select the root directory of a virtual drive

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Fri Dec 3 07:21:54 CST 2004

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Well, there's an IShellFolder interface, and it should probably be
> doing something with that. In any case it should definitely be more
> integrated into the shell way of doing things, there shouldn't be a
> need for a whole new set of APIs. This needs more thought IMO...

I have to disagree. I did try and write a shell extension once - even
with the Delphi wizards helping with the boilerplate it was still some
kind of Buddhist patience-enhancing mental excercise. In the end I
trashed Explorer and had to reinstall Windows. There's a *lot* of work
involved in writing one.

Anyway part of the reason for having the new APIs and restructuring the
code is so we can have a non-standard UI. If it's implemented as a shell
namespace extension the code will get a lot more complex, and the UI
will still show the mapped drives alongside the new namespace which
would be confusing to say the least.

thanks -mike