RFC: Use editline in winedbg

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Sat Dec 4 23:27:37 CST 2004

Robert Shearman wrote:
> Jeremy White wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The attached patch dynamically detects and uses the BSD licensed editline
>> library (a pretty close replacement for readline), if it's available.
>> This gives winedbg command line recall.
>

> I think this should be available via Win32 calls without the licensing
> issues. See dlls/kernel/editline.c
> I'm not sure if winedbg is currently supposed to support it and there is
> a bug, or if it just hasn't enabled the feature, or if it is even able
> to use it.

Ouch.  Clue bats hurt; I think I've just walked into a tar pit,
haven't I?  Now I seem to recall battles over winedbg and how consoles
work.  Sadly, I can't remember all of the gory details (hence,
the need for the clue bat).

With the attached patch, winedbg --console starts a Win32 style console for
it's session, and indeed, the Win32 console editing stuff works
out just fine.

But I can't resize the window and don't have a scroll bar.

But there is an alternate and/or better way to do this, isn't there?
I set WINECONSOLE or something, right?  More clues would be welcome.

Cheers,

Jeremy