RFC: Use editline in winedbg

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Sun Dec 5 02:16:58 CST 2004

Jeremy White a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> The attached patch dynamically detects and uses the BSD licensed editline
> library (a pretty close replacement for readline), if it's available.
> This gives winedbg command line recall.
>
> This gets around readline's license requirements.
>
> I'm nervous because I wasn't sure if that was the only issue with readline,
> or if there were further issues.  Wack me with a clue bat
> if this is wrong, otw, I'll submit it.
there's a full readline support in dlls/kernel32, and there's no reason, I
repeat NO REASON, to put dedicated readline support in winedbg.
dlls/kernel32 is the only place for readline/editline however you call it.
regarding consoles, there are two things you can do:
1/ run winedbg in a powerful wine console: wineconsole winedbg <bla bla>
2/ add, in dlls/kernel32, support for editline/readline when std in/out are not
attached to a wine console (which is was 1/ does), but to regular files (you
have to detect when those files are tty:s and react accordingly to
ReadFile/WriteFile calls)

A+