msacm: pcm compatibility patch

Robert Reif reif at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 11 08:29:21 CST 2004

Eric Pouech wrote:

> I'd agree that what we don't need byte compatibility for the audio
> conversions. We should be compatible OTOH on the size of the buffers
> sent out (not sure it's always the case), which may cause some
> problems in some cases.
> A+

The number of bytes read and written was the original issue
that I was investigating.  The original code actually wrote
past the end of the buffer at one point before I corrected that
a long time ago.  The Microsoft code will not read and/or
write the entire contents of the buffers under some
circumstances.  Duplicating this behavior lead to the code I
have presented.

Any audio programmer concerned about the quality of
conversions will stay as far away from Microsoft code
as possible.