Approving of the WINEprobe initiative

David Gümbel david.guembel at itomig.de
Mon Dec 20 12:13:00 CST 2004

On Montag 20 Dezember 2004 18:41, Brian Vincent wrote:
> <david.guembel at itomig.de> wrote:
> > - as my colleague Stefan Munz has already pointed out recently[1] on
> > this list, Wirtschaftsförderung Region Stutgart GmbH (WRS) and us
> > (ITOMIG) are launching an initiative called WINEprobe[2]. Its goal is
> > to make local software vendors aware of the potential bussiness
> > opportunity in a WINE-based port or a WINE/Linux version of their
> > software.
>
> Just curious, what is ITOMIG?

We're a local company specializing in compatibility analyses of Windows
software with Linux/Wine. Our clients are mostly from the administrative
and the public sector.

> > In order to make the WINEprobe initiative beneficial for the WINE
> > project as much as possible, three things are in the making:
>
> WINEprobe is an.. er.. interesting name.  Why did you choose it?  From
> a marketing perspective, it doesn't seem like a good name.  In
> general, the word "probe" doesn't exactly give a warm, fuzzy feeling
> or generate excitement.  Is this a translation of a German word that
> sounds better?

Jep, its actually a pun: WINEprobe means be something like WINEtasting in
english an maybe "degustation de WINE" in french. It's a little hard to
translate puns, sorry ;) Maybe this is helpful:
http://dict.leo.org/?search=weinprobe

> It sounds like you guys are interested in Winelib stuff.  I'm sure
> you've investigated the pros/cons of that.  Did you notice the Winelib
> documentation is very outdated?  Would you guys want to tackle
> updating it?

In case this fits into a real project (say, porting some legacy application)
we're doing e.g. in line with the WINEprobe initiative, yeah - why not. In
general, we always try to let flow back as much as possible to the
respective OSS projects whose software we're using.

Cheers,

David