My "Helping Applications Work" Guide

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Tue Dec 21 07:01:05 CST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:38:20 -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> However, I'm not exactly sure where to put it on the winehq website.
> Perhaps it should be linked from the main page of the applications
> database, or from the support tab, or something.  Anyway, I'm posting it
> here for peer review.

Looks great! I'd suggest putting it in the Documentation section, and then
linking to it from the appdb page.

This quote: "An alternative option, perhaps more effective and expensive, is to pay wine
developers for their work on your application, either directly through a
negotiated contract or indirectly by posting a bounty" ... could it have a
link to CodeWeavers please? I think it's fair to say that we're the number
one provider of these sorts of services by a long way, but currently we're
still quite dependent on people being able to find us, so additional links
and publicity is needed.

Here: "An application may not work because Wine doesn't yet fully implement
one of the DLL files the application is trying to use.  If you encounter
a DLL not found error, or see a lot of "FixMe:" messages while running
the application in wine, this is likely the case." you may wish to mention
that if you're a programmer, you should read the Getting Started guide and
maybe the developer guide (in the documentation section).

Rest looks fine to me.

thanks -mike