Hyperthreading and SMP

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Dec 21 11:46:02 CST 2004

Does WINE have any problem with either Hyperthreading or SMP? I've found
that locking the Tribes Vengeance dedicated server to a single logical CPU
seems to give me better performance as the server fills with players. CPU
usage seems significantly lower (45% versus 65%). Is this likely to be a
WINE issue or a TV issue? (TV is based on the Unreal Tournament engine,
with the Havok physics engine integrated to handle vehicle. Alas, unlike
UT2004, there's no native Linux server for TV.)

More here:

<http://lists.matureasskickers.net/pipermail/tvservers/2004-December/000186.html>

I want to try disabling HT or setting affinity on my co-admin's Win2003
server to see if he sees the same boost.