[OLE #10] Make out of process COM work with OXID based marshal ids

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Tue Dec 21 13:41:29 CST 2004

On December 21, 2004 04:25 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
SNIP

> Native OLE should still work - is this the REG_EXPAND_SZ issue Bill
> mentioned? What exactly is this issue?

(It was mentioned early on in that IRC hecking discussion a couple of Sundays
ago, although I met it a few days earlier)

Due to some change after the September version, native msxml registers itself
using REG_EXPAND_SZ entries in the registry, which is what it seems to do on
a Windows 2000 computer.  However the native ole32 that I use (which comes
from I can't remember where) does not expand the string and so the msxml
stuff stops working.  I suggest as a working hypothesis that the Win95/98
ole32 does not support the REG_EXPAND_SZ.  (Does the Windows 98 Registry code
actually allow you to add a REG_EXPAND_SZ to the registry or doe it maybe
automatically do the expansion on the way into the registry?)

--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
http://webhome.idirect.com/~kbmed