[OLE #10] Make out of process COM work with OXID based marshal ids

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Tue Dec 21 13:59:01 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:41 -0800, Bill Medland wrote:
> I suggest as a working hypothesis that the Win95/98
> ole32 does not support the REG_EXPAND_SZ.  (Does the Windows 98 Registry code
> actually allow you to add a REG_EXPAND_SZ to the registry or doe it maybe
> automatically do the expansion on the way into the registry?)

I think DCOM98 is just buggy. That sort of thing works on Windows XP.
Unfortunately XP DCOM doesn't work on Wine, so you have a few options:

- Help us improve builtin DCOM (yay!)
- Hack the registry and manually expand the strings so MSXML is happy

If you're able to commit time to the first one then perhaps Rob and I
should draw up a more detailed roadmap. Quite a few of the tasks can be
done in parallel.

Of course, first we have to resolve the matter of the patch I sent
earlier ...