Approving of the WINEprobe initiative

Stefan Munz stefan.munz at itomig.de
Thu Dec 23 03:21:08 CST 2004

as my partner David Gümbel is travelling much these days and thus is badly
online available, I thought I add a few lines here :-)

> <david.guembel at itomig.de> wrote:
> > Jep, its actually a pun: WINEprobe means be something like WINEtasting in
> > english an maybe "degustation de WINE" in french. It's a little hard to
> > translate puns, sorry ;) Maybe this is helpful:
> > http://dict.leo.org/?search=weinprobe
>
> I saw that reference later in the email.  That does make sense and I
> guess WINEprobe is a good name.  Not so good when said in English, but
> then again that doesn't really matter.  Puns are fun.  I'm sure
> there's plenty of English words that don't sound so good in German :)

As this is a german project, actually a swabian project ;-) it is important
for us, that the name sounds good in german. And yes, there are some english
alternatives that sound funny in german too or that people who only speak
german would'nt even understand.

> By the way, didn't we standardize on "Wine" rather than "WINE" a few
> years ago?  Would "WineProbe" be more appropriate?

I think this is originally me fault as I created the first draft for this
project. WineProbe or Wine-Probe would be at least as good as WINEProbe, so
I'll change it this way.

<snip>

> If you do contribute to Wine, we'll gladly add you to our acknowledgements
> page ( http://www.winehq.org/site/acknowledgement ).  Then you can say
> things in press releases like, "WRS, an acknowledged Wine contributor,
> ....."   Anyone disagree with that idea?

this sounds great, but the WRS would not contribute to Wine (besides they host
the WineConf, but the decision is still pending as far as I know), this would
be ITOMIG. And I would appreciate the idea very much.

Stefan Munz