MSVCRT, OpenGL bugs to look at (and a WM rewrite regression?)

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Thu Dec 23 07:14:17 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 13:53 +0100, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> Yeah, I already tried once to debug this and was a bit stuck... I had no
> idea how to progress further on this though.

I sunk quite a few hours into it and didn't see anything. I think the
only way to find this one will be by writing lots of unit tests and
hoping one trips.

> Did you try with a 'reference driver' (like Mesa) ? It's pretty rare that a
> bug is specifically in Wine's implementation of OpenGL but rather in
> interactions between Wine and the GL driver.

Nope. I did think it may be a driver issue, I'm using the nVidia binary
drivers (latest release). I will go back to "nv" which should force Wine
to use Mesa, and see if it still happens.

> And more important, it's a bitch to find out exactly which graphic
> primitives are responsible to display something like the sky in thousands of
> GL traces so it's almost impossible to debug.

Ah :( I was wondering how you did it, I thought there may be some magic
tool or technique you had. I suppose not :(

> And as one can see, the Desktop window 'atom' seems to have been changed by
> the 'graphic chooser' application which means that 'Supreme.exe' tries to
> get the Window attributes of a window that is now deleted => nice X11
> crash.

Atoms set on the window should be process scoped not global. I think
this is something for Alexandre to look at.

Maybe we need some unit tests for window atoms if we don't already have
them.

It doesn't really matter for me. The game (for once) works perfectly in
full screen mode. Now I have a launcher on my panel and desktop with the
right icon, that launches the app in fullscreen mode, and runs (nearly)
perfectly with native performance. That's how Wine should be! Merry
Christmas everybody :D

thanks -mike