Interface for working directories/launchers

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Thu Dec 23 12:14:09 CST 2004

Hi,

Wine currently creates launchers (.desktop files) with an Exec line like
this:

Exec=wine 'c:\games\supreme\supreme.exe'

But, some games expects to be run from its working directory. As working
directory typically doesn't matter to UNIX apps, some desktop environments
like GNOME don't let you set it. Really, this is a Wine specific issue.

So I'm wondering how we should fix this. The most obvious is a way to tell
Wine to change the working directory to the path of the EXE file before
running it, but we can't introduce command line switches any more and an
environment variable for this doesn't make much sense.

My proposal is to have a new winelib app "winemenulauncher" which simply
takes the working directory, program and arguments, and runs the program
but switching current directory first, ie the menu entry would look like:

Exec=wine winemenulauncher c:\games\supreme supreme.exe

Hopefully this should let us fix the case of games like Dungeon Keeper
which actually crash when run from their install directory.

Does this sound sensible?

thanks -mike