ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Fri Dec 31 11:19:48 CST 2004

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Lots, I like it.  The syscall trap will always be delivered before the
> single-step trap, right, because signal delivery won't run until we
> return to userspace?

Yes. Although I've not actually tested it.

Before, it used to show up as one event, and basically the "0x80" marker
got lost, so effectively the "system call exit" part would have got lost.
Now, it _may_ DTRT, with the caveat that the system call ptrace_notify()
thing still has the same problem with restarting-with-a-signal.

That's basically a "don't do that then", and is the status quo, of course,
so this is at least not a regression. It's still pretty ugly, but
apparently nobody really cares ;)

		Linus