[Winecfg] - redo applications tab, misc changes

Chris Morgan cmorgan at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Feb 4 19:06:32 CST 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 06:56 pm, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:20:59 -0500, chmorgan wrote:
> > The x11 tab is global settings only at this point.  I think we can
> > remove a couple of options on this tab, UseRandR is the only one I can
> > think of atm.
> I'd not be happy with removing that - XrandR solves some problems and
> introduces others - namely that the desktop panel applets/icons etc
> rearrange themselves for the lower resolution then sometimes don't
> rearrange back.

This sounds like something that can/should be fixed with the window manager,
if that is what you are referring to, and not directly a wine issue.

 Using XVidmode has the advantage that the desktop size
> doesn't change, only the screen resolution (which is what we want) but has
> the disadvantage of enabling the hardware panning/sideslip stuff, which is
> what we don't want.
> More thought needed? Alex, comments?

We should be asking ourselves if we expect window managers to handle XrandR
correctly in the future.  It seems like a very worthwhile extension to X to
support and I'd rather we have one less option when we can get rid of it and
not have it greatly impact the wine user.