Wrong short filenames instead of long ones

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Fri Feb 6 09:40:15 CST 2004

fre, 06.02.2004 kl. 15.46 skrev Dimitrie O. Paun:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Ove Kaaven wrote:
>
> > Try win95. Wine currently only emulates the DOS long file name API on
> > win9x, since it did not exist on nt4.
>
> That makes no sense: we get short names on a system (nt4) that
> fundamentally had long names. Shoudn't we get long names by
> default in that case?

No, you couldn't get long file names in DOS programs under NT4. Try to
run command.com (a DOS app) instead of cmd.exe (a Win32 console app)
under NT4 sometime. NT4 had generally poor DOS support, mostly because
its kernel was not DOS; Win95 had much better DOS support because of its
DOS-based kernel, and that kernel provided long file name services to
DOS programs running under it (on a VFAT partition).

Now it's possible that 2000 and XP added Win95-compatible long file name
services for DOS programs, in which case the version check in Wine for
the LFN DOS API could be updated. The version check is anyway (probably)
mostly there to prevent winver=win311 from enabling the LFN API.