wine/dlls/ntdll virtual.c

Mike Hearn mike at
Wed Feb 11 03:40:06 CST 2004

> Log message:
> 	Don't request PROT_EXEC permissions when mapping an image file to
> 	avoid problems on noexec filesystems with kernel 2.6.

According to the exec-shield paper, its effects can include revealing
"bugs in applications that assume PROT_READ implies PROT_EXEC" due to the
funky things it does with relocations into the ASCII-armour. Not sure but
it might be worth ensuring mprotect is called afterwards....

Just a random thought, I don't think it'd matter in this case as we use
MAP_FIXED anyway.