can the wine debugger be disabled

"Cristóvão B. B. Dalla Costa" cbraga at fs.inf.br
Wed Feb 11 07:49:46 CST 2004

Hello,

Before anyone flames me let me say that I'm perfectly aware of the
continuing effort of the Wine team for greater compatibility with
Windows applications, and that the debugger is instrumental in that quest.

However, in the company I work for we will replace a hundred or so PCs
which run Windows with Linux PCs. The people using these PCs are the
most clueless possible, and we want to avoid aggravation from them
when/if the Wine debugger shows up when an application fails. That's
inacceptable since those people would be lost and not know what to do.
However, I cannot figure out how to do so using configuration files
(wineserver -d0 rarely does the trick, and I don't think we can rely on
that).

So I humbly ask for directions so that I can alter Wine's source code to
not call up the debugger and instead show a dialogue to inform the user
of what happened. Naturally, any application which misbehaves and is
important enough *will* be debugged, we just can't have the debugger
showing up every time, leaving the app frozen.

(sorry if it's been asked before, I couldn't find out how to search of
the mailling lists)

Thank you in advance.

Cristovao.