Windows 2000 source code has been leaked

Robert Lunnon bobl at optushome.com.au
Sat Feb 14 18:47:04 CST 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 10:27, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> I heard news that windows 2000 source code was leaked and have seen what
> proports to be a filelist.
>
> Dont know if its genuine but for everyones sake I suggest that all people
> here completly ignore it (same as I will be doing)

This is quite worrying, the presence of this leaked code means a lot to wine.
Just it's existence could lead to Microsoft "Claiming" wine code is
derivative of it.

The mere "claim" of an infringement by Microsoft's army of lawyers can make
major corporations quiver in their boots. I feel it's quite possible that the
leak is a deliberate ploy by Microsoft to be able to "claim" that projects
like wine are tainted, infringe Microsoft copyright and should be shutdown/
made illegal. This tactic would at least slow down competitive development in
the marketplace.... Hmm

Mind you if the leak can be proved deliberate, then a deliberate release of
such code might render the copyrights ineffective, since Microsoft was
knowingly giving the code out for distribution....

Still, Watch This Space !

Bob