What's with command.com / cmd.exe

Boaz Harrosh boaz at hishome.net
Thu Feb 19 06:37:39 CST 2004

Some programs, mostly installations also others, look for command.com or
cmd.exe to spun commands and batch files.
This fails in current wine installation. I know they are not suppose to
do that they should use an API, but they do. (What is the API for that
and is it supported by wine?)

I have soft linked wineconsol.exe.so to \windows\command\command.com in
win98 mode. (%systemdir%\cmd.exe in WinNT/XP) And it works OK. (did not
yet try WinNT mode).

1) Is this the way to do it? Or are there hidden problems that can
arise. (I guess what the application is doing is eventually CreatProcess
on command.com/cmd.exe). If so how are we with
command-line/Internal-commands compatibility with command.com or cmd.exe?

2) If 1. than should that be done in the regular Install/winecfg
session? Or each user to himself. Where are these files in the different
windows versions?

(By the way same problem in cxoffice)

Free Life
Boaz