Outreach to local governments considering Linux

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Feb 22 11:20:32 CST 2004

hatky wrote:
>>I would like to start by creating a page at winehq.org that
>>has information for towns considering migrating to Linux
>>(links to feasability studies done by other cities come to mind).
>>If nobody's opposed, I'll submit a patch to add that
>>(though it may take a while, I'm fighting RSI again).
>

> It sound like a nice start but probably the full deal of migrating to linux
> will be out of winehq.org's scope.

Oh, of course.  Wine is just one tool to help those
migrating to Linux.  OpenOffice is another.  There
are many others.  But Wine can be an important part, I think.

> I know the minestry of treasury in Israel is examining and recemending moving
> to linux, after supporting the porting and distribution of open office to
> Hebrew:
> (http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/1,7340,L-2838038,00.html)

That link requires registration.  Here's are some older free ones:
  http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=55243
  http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/windows/story/0,10801,88800,00.html
(But see
  http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2004-01-10-006-26-NW-MS-PB&tbovrmode=3
which says Israel got the concession it wanted from Microsoft.)

> But wine lakes Hebrew support because it doesn't fully implement BIDI......
> (CrossWavers see a biz opportunity?)

Shachar Shemesh is working on that, I think.
- Dan

--
US citizens: if you're considering voting for Bush, look at these first:
http://www.misleader.org/