how to connect to com object "outside" from wine?

Robert van Herk robert at robertvanherk.nl
Sun Feb 22 15:49:43 CST 2004

maman yonatan wrote:

>so if I understand you properly, you say that there is
>no way doing from _outside_ of wine (no matter what
>kind of com object I have), is that correct?

Of course there is a way: you could make your own remote procedure call
mechanism. Might be a very cool project, actually, to make an interface
to call objects living a wine, that makes COM accessible from unix!

However, it will be quite some work. You probably need a server kind of
application that lives in Wine, and a client application that lives in
Linux. Then, you got to make sure that the linux app can connect with
the server, and issue procedure calls to the wine server. Finally, the
wine server should forward actual calls into COM, and return the result
value back to the linux client.

Thus something like this:

1. [COM object(Wine)]  <-> 2. [Custom build COM-server(Wine)]   <-> 3.
[Client application using the COM object(Linux)]

Where layer 2 is something needs probably to be implemeted from scratch.

I don't know how much is known about COM by the wine-people, but I guess
it that when they succeeded in replicating the COM API, it should also
be doable to make a Linux frontend to that... (??)

Grtz,
Robert