Native NetBSD audio driver

James Gregory james at
Wed Feb 25 16:34:53 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 08:59, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Robert Reif <reif at> writes:
> > I  think it might be worthwhile considering restructuring the audio
> > drivers into hardware independent wave, direct sound, midi
> > and  mixer sections and a hardware dependent  low level
> > implementation for oss, alsa, ...
> Yes we should definitely do something like that. This sound driver
> business is becoming a huge mess.

Is there a reason not to use something like libao here?

It lists NetBSD amongst the systems it supports. I suspect this will
only solve part of the problem, since it appears to only do PCM audio
output, but this has got to be a problem that has been solved before.

How complicated is the audio code? Would it be difficult for me to add a
libao driver?